Monday, October 28, 2013

Grandma & Grandpa Camp (Hunt and Dewey)!

The first week of June, the kids went with Mom and Dad Hunt to Grandparent Camp in Escalante.  This year Mom did a Native American theme, so each kid got to make their own moccasins and Indian t-shirts that they got to put in their own Indian bag.  They also made some cool bucket seats and swam in a reservoir right by their campsite in the Escalante Petrified Forest.  The highlight of the trip, however, was hiking some amazing slot canyons (Spooky and Peek-a-boo) and eating Grandma’s amazing food.  Our kids are lucky to have grandparents who love them enough to take them camping for a week after they've only been home from Mongolia for a month and a half!
Chipmunk trap! 
Hiking in Spooky and Peek-a-Boo Slot Canyons












Stopping in the slot canyons to eat lunch
Making leather Indian moccasins
Time for some target practice!
The kids finished off the month with Grandma Camp with Grandma and Grandpa Dewey.  Grandma and Grandpa rented a Forest Service cabin up Logan Canyon (at Egan Basin) and they spent three days eating delicious food, playing with cousins, pressing flowers, catching bugs, doing first aid on Noah (he got a huge sliver in his leg), and using metal detectors to find coins that Grandpa had hid in a field.  After they perfected their metal-detecting skills, they went on a hike to an old airplane crash site and used the metal detector to look for pieces of the airplane…they found several pieces and contributed them to the memorial at the crash site.
All the grandkids showing off the camp gear vests that Grandma sewed for them. 
Showing off their camp necklaces
I love how clean Mason looks in this picture.  Meanwhile, Wyatt and Kai (especially) have obvious dirt smears on their faces.
The Egan Basin cabin up Logan Canyon
Cooking some camp grub

Grandpa helped the kids whittle their own mountain men knives
Girl sleepover in the loft

3 comments:

Liz Dewey said...

I forgot that the Hunts to Grandma camp too! Well those lucky kids. I was in those same slot canyons like a month before they were, they are really cool!

MacElwee Family said...

I love all the pictures! I think it is so neat that they get to go to camp with both sets of grandparents. I think Kai looks like Daniel when he was little, especially the picture with the dirty face.

Chad and Lisle said...

Yay for grandma and grandpa camps. That is so fun that both grandparents take your kids. That escalate looked so fun. I think we will go down there this spring. I love the slot canyons.