Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Rafting the Snake River

Over the summer, our family was able to float the Snake River SIX times!  It was awesome!  Our friend, Scott Hurst, has been training Daniel how to row because we're planning on spending a week floating the Salmon River next summer with the kids.  I even took a turn rowing one trip!  I've included a few quotes from our summer newsletters to fill you in on some of the details from our floats.
June:  "Daniel and I maneuvered through Big Kahuna, Lunch Counter and a few other big rapids and neither of us capsized the boat, which means that we are ready to go…after about ten more preparatory trips.
July:  "Mid-July, I was able to go with my girlfriends on a beautiful hike up to Alaska Basin in the Tetons. While I was off hiking, Daniel went to get in some more river training on the Snake River.  Daniel and Scott took all of our kids this time (except Carson and Quin who Ian was kind enough to babysit), and had a great day on the beautiful whitewater of the Snake.  There’s just something about the thought of two men and nine kids rafting the Snake River that brings a smile to my face.  I married a good man because not too many men would be willing to do that.  The kids had a blast rafting with their friends."
August:  "One day after returning from our canoe trip, we were off adventuring again!  This time Daniel headed off to go whitewater rafting with the kids on the Snake River (he’s getting to be quite a good rower now) while I headed to Union Falls in the Yellowstone backcountry (Bechler Meadows area) with my girlfriends.  The kids love the Snake River and while Daniel rows the boat, the kids love to jump on tubes and careen through Lunch Counter and Big Kahuna rapids.  Crazy little things!  This trip they added to the fun by jumping off a 20-foot cliff into the icy waters below.  They’re pretty brave!  I'm not scared of the jump, but the cold water of the Snake is not something I like to dive into!"
I hate to miss those rafting trips, but I do admire Scott and Daniel for their unique system of kid-watching while the wives are away...

Rowing is super-fun, but it does make me realize the massive amount of upper-body strength that Daniel possesses and I, unfortunately, do not!
Daniel broke his fingertip on this trip when the oar came down and smashed his finger on the boat frame going through one of the rapids.
McCall, Morgan and Kai trying out an inflatable kayak and river board.
Whitewater rafting makes Jed smile!
I love this action-shot of McCall and her friends.  They rode the entire length of the Snake on these river tubes.
Ready, Set....
Jump!
Kai takes the plunge.



2 comments:

Chad and Lisle said...

Oh my goodness, I think that looks fun. Although having almost died once while river rafting I have never really liked it so much. Too bad, I should over come my fear, because this looks fun, but I am not a lover of water anyway so I don't think I will ever love to river raft again. But I am glad you guys are all safe, at least until next summer anyway.

MacElwee Family said...

Wow, these pictures make me so nervous! I cannot believe that your kids can tube down the snake and jump off a huge cliff! These are things that I am way to scared to do. That is great that you guys are doing so much rafting, I bet your arms kill after your done. That is amazing that Daniel and his friend take the kids, what a great guy! I cannot believe all the activities you guys do, sounds fun!