Monday, November 25, 2013

Teton Crest Trail 2013

After the kids went back to school, Lindsey and I took off on a long-awaited backpacking trip with some of our closest friends (the Helfrichs, Hursts and Richards) on the Teton Crest Trail.  We covered forty miles and had some serious elevation gain and loss over three days through some of the most beautiful mountains in the lower 48.  I think God was showing off a little bit when he created the Tetons.  The only thing that was less than ideal was the lack of wildlife.  We only saw two deer and two bighorn sheep in three days, bummer.  And even worse?  Lindsey spotted three of those four big game animals and she keeps rubbing it in my face.  Nonetheless, spending time laughing my head off with friends on the trail made up for the lack of wildlife and we are already planning our trip for next year.  Maybe to the Wind Rivers?
We started our three-day, forty-mile journey at Coal Creek at Teton Pass.
James was super-excited to be on the trail.
A few miles in, we stopped to look over maps, refill water bottles and eat some snacks.
At some point in time, Jim stole my camera and took this flattering picture of himself.
Goofing off on some giant boulders - about mile 11.
Rachel and I are excited to be at camp.
Our first night's camp - Death Canyon Shelf.
Enjoying our second night's campsite!  :)
God lit up the Grand Teton for us.

The views were breathtaking.
Bighorn sheep on the Death Canyon Shelf.
If you look closely, you can spot the mule deer in this shot taken in Cascade Canyon.
Daniel and I enjoying some delicious backpacking food on the trail.
Jim carried this stool on his back the entire way.  I caught him comtemplating the "deliciousness" of his upcoming dinner.

Scott, Debbie, Jim and Daniel doing their best to stay dry during a heavy rainstorm in Cascade Canyon.
Daniel and Debbie hiking through the fog on the third morning of our hike.
The trail coming down from Paintbrush Pass was quite rocky.
Daniel, Scott, Rachel and I on the summit of Paintbrush Pass.
Daniel was hoping to get lucky and get cell service on the top of Paintbrush Pass so that we could call home and say "Hi" to the kids.  We weren't able to get a signal despite his best efforts.
A great view of the Grand from the trail leading up to Paintbrush Pass.
Backpacking Babes!  Cascade Canyon
Daniel and I on the summit of Hurricane Pass.
Daniel and I loved every minute of this trip together.  Can't wait to do it next year!

5 comments:

Chad and Lisle said...

This hiking trip looked much more enjoyable than the other group hike to the grand. Everyone looked like they were having a wonderful time.
Again, I never think hiking is very fun, when I know a horse could be doing the work for me.And all I have to do is sit back relax and enjoy the view. Ha

Evan and Amber said...

you both look really happy, I think it is really nice that you can do something with just the two of you!

Becca said...

Yes. YES!!! We are totally planning a Teton Crest trail hike of our own. Every picture was awesome--especially the golden grand! Oh, this makes me wish we could fast forward to Spring!

MacElwee Family said...

You guys are always making out! It is starting to get creepy! I really love Daniel trying to get cell service.

Carin Byington said...

Looks like fun. I had no idea Daniel had those ninja balancing skills until I saw the picture of him trying to get cell coverage.