Sunday, January 20, 2013

Celebrating the Minor Holidays of 2013

This year we've decided that not only are we going to celebrate the BIG holidays (like Valentines, Easter and Christmas), but we're also going to celebrate the LITTLE holidays (like National Cookie Day and National Talk Like a Pirate Day) too!  There are tons of little holidays, but these are the ones that we're going to celebrate this year:

January   6th:  National Cuddle Up Day
(We weren't quite on board with the minor holidays by January 6th yet - but I did scrounge up these great photos of some past cuddling!)


January 19th:  National Popcorn Day
January 23rd:  National Pie Day


January 29th:  National Puzzle Day
February 2nd:  Groundhog Day
February 8th:  Boy Scout Day
(Forgot to take a picture of the boys on Scout Day!  But we did have our Blue & Gold Banquet AND the boys wore their uniforms to church on Sunday!)

February 10th:  Chinese New Year













(You should have SEEN the Chinese buffet I whipped up!  Wontons, ham fried rice, hot and sour soup, sesame chicken, sweet & sour sauce, and mandarin oranges!  Somehow I forgot to put the chopsticks on the table though...)

February 15th:  National Gumdrop Day

February 17th:  National Acts of Kindness Day
February 20th:  National Love Your Pet Day

March 1st:  Share a Smile Day
March 2nd:  Dr. Seuss' Birthday
March 11th:  Johnny Appleseed Day
March 12th:  Girl Scout Day
March 23rd:  Toast Day
March 25th:  National Waffle Day
April 2nd:  Children's Book Day
April 9th:  Name Yourself Day
April 20th:  Look-Alike Day
April 22nd:  Earth Day
April 26th:  Hug a Friend Day
May 5th:  Cinco de Mayo
May 11th:  Eat What You Want Day
May 16th:  Love a Tree Day
June 1st:  Donut Day
June 7th:  National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
June 11th:  Hug Day
June 17th:  Eat Your Veggies Day
June 22nd:  National Eclair Day
July 1st:  Creative Ice Cream Flavor Day
July 7th:  National Macaroni Day
July 13th:  National French Fries Day
July 20th:  National Lollipop Day
July 21st:  National Ice Cream Day
July 30th:  National Cheesecake Day
August 3rd:  National Watermelon Day
August 6th:  National Wiggle Your Toes Day
August 13th:  National Left-handed Day
August 16th:  National Tell a Joke Day
August 26th:  National Dog Day
September 9th:  Teddy Bear Day
September 12th:  Chocolate Milkshake Day
September 19th:  Talk Like a Pirate Day
October and November:  Surprisingly, these months didn't really have any great little holidays - we'll just do our "Dinners Around the World" celebrations during these months instead!
December 4th:  National Cookie Day
December 13th:  National Cocoa Day

7 comments:

Evan and Amber said...

I think it will be so much fun at your house, I think your kids will love this and remember this. I am just getting down the regular holiday's, so I think I will have to wait for years until I can do any more and probably never that I could do this many, I don't even gets kids homework done! Thanks for sharing because this is cute.

Bigmama said...

We are totally going to do this too!! I can't wait for National Pie day!! Two days and counting. Oh, and there is one in October called Sweetest Day. It's celebrated the 3rd Saturday each October. It's basically a give someone some candy day (usually your sweetheart).

Liz Dewey said...

oh my, some of these holidays seem awesome and other ones... well i wouldn't know how to celebrate wiggle your toes day. But you will have to take pictures those days and tell us how you celebrate off of them! I may have to celebrate a few of them as well with you guys!

Chad and Lisle said...

Wow, I bet your kids are going to love these. I bet their favorite will be Eat what ever you want day. That is awesome!

MacElwee Family said...

That is a ton of holidays to celebrate. I look up to your for doing so many fun things! You are always so thoughtful and fun!

Carin Byington said...

I finally got your link to work. I was so glad you told me about National Pie Day. I bet you kids will love all the holdiays!

Becca said...

Whoa. It looks like fun and it also looks daunting. I love you Deweys!